A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that:
“Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container that is approved by the department.”
I couldn’t believe that this was seriously being taken up in Sacramento, so I dug into it and realized that there was a lot more behind it, so I have written a note to The Honorable Richard Pan, Chairman, Assembly Committee on Health in the California State Capitol, cc: the authors of the Bill and the Assemblymember and Senator representing Berkeley (since we’re based in Berkeley), to bring a number of issues to their attention.
In short, I am respectfully requesting that the provisions in the bill mandating consumers to purchase a sharps container whenever syringes, needles or lancets are purchased be dropped from AB 1893 altogether.
Here’s what you can do:
- If you live in California, please take the time to contact your State Representative to them know your thoughts on this piece of legislation.
- You have to contact your Assembly Person and/or Senator by April 29 (when the Assembly Health Committee will be reviewing the bill).
- If you want your comment to go on record in time for the Assembly Health Committee meeting, make sure to contact them by Tuesday, April 22
- Whether you live in California or not, please take the time to blog or tweet about this, using the #OpposeAB1893 hashtag. Below are some key Twitter accounts and sample tweets you can use.
Twitter accounts of key stakeholders:
- @DrPanMD (Chair of the Assembly Health Committee)
- @AsmMarkStone, @SusanEggman (Bill authors)
- @fionama (Speaker pro-tempore)
Twitter accounts of key media:
Here are a few sample tweets you can use:
- .@DrPanMD @AssemblyDems @AssemblyGOP Pls #OpposeAB1893: CA Bill that Burdens People w Diabetes on Insulin http://bit.ly/1fag6fI
- .@LatinoCaucus @SpeakerPerez @fionama @EllenCorbettCA #OpposeAB1893: CA Bill that burdens ppl w diabetes on insulin http://bit.ly/1fag6fI
- Here’s why we #OpposeAB1893: CA Bill that burdens ppl w Diabetes on Insulin http://bit.ly/1fag6fI @HealthyCal @sacbee_news @JWilliamsAP
If you would rather engage with any of the stakeholders on Facebook, here are their Facebook pages: